I’ve just noticed the last post on my blog was almost a year ago!, I will try to fix that and post more often.
Fluent Bit on 2017 got a lot of traction, since people from the CloudNative-space started asking for more specific features and these were implemented, now we can see that Fluent Bit is deployed a few thousands of times each single day and having a real impact where it’s solving logging pains at scale.
As a maintainer and core developer, I am very happy to see this traction from users, but also there is a community growth which honestly, without them, the project will not be rocking as it’s doing today. End users around the project are an important piece which helps with contributions, troubleshooting and feedback to align roadmap in the right direction, so thank you all for your help and patience!
On 2017 as of today, we have done 27 releases where 3 of them are major releases and the other just bug fixes focusing on stability. We started the year with 0.10 major version and finalizing with 0.12 as next stable, 0.13 is just showing up in a development stage.
From a technical perspective Fluent Bit acquired the following features on this year:
- Native support for nanoseconds timestamps
- Environment variables support in configuration
- UTF-8 Support
- Full Parsing interface (JSON and Regex backends)
- Built-in HTTP Client
- Tail input performance highly improved and Multiline logs support
- Systemd Journal Input: read logs from Systemd Journal
- Syslog input: extended support for old Syslog clients.
- Disk Input: new plugin to gather metrics from local disks.
- Kubernetes Filter: enrich logs with Kubernetes metadata
- Grep Filter: match and exclude records based on regex patterns
- Record Modifier Filter modify records content
- Elasticsearch output add support for Basic Auth
- Kafka REST Output Support Apache Kafka REST backend
- Flowcounter Output new counter/stats plugin
- File Output: write records to the file system (msgpack or JSON)
- Extended Unit testing: internal routines and runtime tests
the list could be more extensive as there are many other improvements on each subsystem, all of this have been done thanks to the contribution of more than 30 people considering areas such as bug reporting, troubleshooting, code fixes and documentation within others.
Fluent Bit 0.13
This is the current development version and in addition to 0.12 the following features are already available:
- New HTTP REST Interface:
- Service information
- JSON Metrics
- Prometheus Metrics
More details about new stuff will be published at CloudNativeCon US!